Thursday, January 28, 2010

cold weather + soup = GOOD!

My Grandmother always made the best homemade potato soup! Over the years, my sister and I have come up with a few little changes to make it easier to prepare. Grandmother always peeled and cut her own potatoes, but it’s quicker to use the frozen diced potatoes (in the freezer section).

Loaded Potato Soup

1 bag of frozen southern style potatoes
3 Chicken flavored bullion cubes
Velveeta Cheese
Milk (2% is best)
Shredded cheese of your choice
Bacon pieces
(add some onion if you desire)

Put potatoes in large pot and fill with just enough water to cover ¼ of the potatoes. Add bullion cubes and cook on medium/low until the potatoes just start to get tender. Add enough milk to cover the potatoes (and maybe a little more…I like my soup “juicy”). Dice the Velveeta cheese and add to the soup. Keep stirring until all the cheese is melted. The potatoes will continue to cook some. Grandmother would sometimes use a little cornstarch/milk mixture to thicken the soup. Salt & pepper to taste.
Serve with bacon pieces and shredded cheese.

It's easy schmeasy! And sooo good :-) I made this for Eric and me Tuesday night and we're still having left overs. YUM!

7 comments:

Jill said...

Yum!!! Thanks for sharing!

Jami said...

Can I come over?

ginmommy said...

YUM!!!

Hers and His said...

Oh my, I love my momma's potato soup! That sounds so good!

Amanda Brady said...

Sounds good!! I will have to try this. Do you use the whole block of Velveeta??

Tracey said...

Amanda, I just kind of "eye" it. Usually half a big block or 1 whole small block of Velveeta. Depends on how cheesy you like it. We love cheese in this house!!

April said...

Tracey, this was awesome!!! My family LOVED it. I have always wanted to make potato soup, but never tried. Thanks!

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS