Friday, February 1, 2013

Flashback Friday - Eric's 30th!

One of the fun things about organizing is when you come across old pictures!  Well, sometimes it's fun...sometimes it's downright scary. ;-)  One picture I came across was from a trip that Eric and I took together back in the days before kids.  

In many ways, Eric and I are a lot alike.  But, in many ways, we are complete opposites, too.  Eric is a thrill seeker.  I am not.  In high school, he raced motorcycles on the back roads of Southern Indiana, while I sat and read my Bible and went to bed at 9 PM, after watching 90210...okay, not really, but you get the picture!  He loves to fly in those little two-seater planes and I prefer to get a Diet Coke and watch from the sidelines.  And, HE LOVES ROLLER COASTERS.  I do not.  I like the Smurf ride, where you sit on a boat, go slowly through an air conditioned building and get "scared" by Gargamel at the end.  I do not like things that take you immediately from 0 to 60+ mph, whipping you around, screaming down hills that make you want to hurl.  Not my cup of tea!  BUT, for Eric's 30th birthday, I planned a trip for him to Cedar Point, the Roller Coaster Capitol of the World.     

{Picture taken on the ferry}

Yes, THE ROLLER COASTER CAPITOL OF THE WORLD.  I'm pretty sure that trip earned me the wife of the century award!  Not only did I plan the trip, but I made it a surprise!  Several of our friends went with us and we made a weekend of it.  It really was a ton of fun!  We spent all day on Friday at an island nearby called Put-In-Bay, where they don't allow cars.  You have to take a ferry across the lake and then rent golf carts to tour the island.  So much fun!  We spent Saturday at Cedar Point where Eric screamed his head off all day long.  I even rode THREE roller coasters with him.  Of course, one of them was called The Dragon and you sit in a little enclosed seat and it takes you gently around its huge arms of steel, but it was pretty calm.  Kind of like a roller coaster for children.  BUT IT WAS A ROLLER COASTER, DARN IT!

What a great memory to come across!  I love weekend getaways.  Looking forward to lots more! :-)


6 comments:

Jami said...

I remember hearing you guys talk about this trip. When did Eric turn 30? I think this was right before I met you guys.

Tracey said...

James- He turned 30 in 2005, which is right before we met you guys! I got pregnant with Levi almost immediately after this trip. :)

Jami said...

We must have met right after this then.

Kerry said...

Hey Tracey! Sounds like a great getaway that lead to wonderful memories!!

ginmommy said...

I remember that party when you told him about the surprise! But I forgot how short your hair was then :-)

Jill said...

I was there! It was a GREAT trip! You were so sweet to plan it all for him. ;)

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS