Tuesday, October 22, 2013

The jam that keeps on giving

The other day, we were getting ready to leave for the happiest place on Earth (no, not Disney!) ...Chuck E. Cheese.  Gag.  I got Maggie dressed, fixed her hair and told her she had a few minutes to watch TV before we left.  As I was heading downstairs to tell Levi for the umpteenth time to get dressed, I glanced over at Maggie and had a panic attack!    


Her face was blotchy and beet red!!  (The pictures don't really do it justice.)  I felt her and she was cool to my touch.  In a matter of seconds, I went through what she had eaten that morning...a granola bar.  She'd had chocolate milk.  Was my detergent new?  No.  She had worn this shirt before, too.  New bath soap?  No, same ol' stuff since she was a year old.  WHAT THE HECK WAS GOING ON?


The spots were going down her arm, on her neck, but not on her torso or back.  AND THEN IT HIT ME.  This had happened almost two years ago.  TWO YEARS!  We were on the way home from vacation.  Levi said, "Mommy, Maggie looks weird."  I turned around to see my baby, then a little over a year old, broken out in some sort of rash.  Beet red, blotchy, but totally content.  I noticed that a spot on the left side of her head that was normally the size of a pea was now the size of a quarter.  I gave her some Benedryl and literally within two minutes, she returned to normal.  SO WEIRD.

We took her to the dermatologist and they immediately knew what the spot was.  They gave it some big long name, which was very different from the way my dad referred to her "spot".  He said it was where one of her horns broke off.  ;-)  Basically, the bump held extra histamines and if it was bothered, the histamines were released into her body, causing a rash.  It is harmless and will go away before she turns 9.

Fast forward to the day at hand.  Within about 15 seconds of seeing her rash, I had figured out what happened.  Mags had eaten peanut butter and jam at her Mamaw's the night before.  She got jam in her hair.  As we were getting ready for CEC, her hair was tangled from the jam.  I brushed her head too hard (bad mom) and must have hit her little bump, which set off the histamines.  Crazy!  It hasn't happened since then and I completely forgot about it.    


I am happy to report that within two or three minutes, she was completely back to normal!  Leave it to my kids to keep things exciting around here! :-)
 

4 comments:

Jaime Mac said...

WOW that rash is really scary looking! I'm glad it was nothing too serious & you got her back to normal. Allergies can be really scary!

ginmommy said...

I think it's really wild that the bump releases that! Never heard of such a thing!

A Whole New McAfee Crew said...

That is so crazy!!!!

melanie said...

wow, crazy! I hate those panic moments as a mom. reminds me of the blueberry girl in willy wonka. :)

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS