I do not like biting (unless your name happens to be Edward - but we won't go there!). When I was in elementary school there was a kid named Bert (yes, Bert) who would threaten to bite me if I didn't play with him at recess time. He scared the poopie out of me!! Of course, because I was a follower and very naive, I would play with him so I didn't get bitten.
Fast forward about 30 years and I have a daughter who bites. It breaks.my.heart. :( Yes, she is only 15 months old, but she has bitten several people including her brother, her friend Addi and two kids at daycare. When someone takes something from her, or won't share with her, she gets angry, her face gets bright red (sometimes she screams!) and then she bites. I know this is her way of communicating that she is mad, but it is making Mommy very upset!! I've tried sitting her in time out (that doesn't work so well yet for one that little!!) and I have popped her in the mouth (please don't call CPS - I don't have time to deal with them!!). We always go through "No, no, Maggie. That is bad. That hurts! Say your sorry." Other suggestions? I have heard that some people "bite back" to teach them how it hurts. It makes me way to sad to think of biting my child to teach a lesson.... :( Maybe I should just go away to a little island, have some drinks with umbrellas in them and soak up some sun until this problem goes away!




8 comments:
I'm sorry! I thankfully haven't had (at least not yet) that problem. I have no advice for ya, sorry! Just wanted to say I'm sorry.
"I don't have time to deal with them"- that is classic!
Sorry.... that was me (jami) not Steve.
Let me just say, I sat here and read "I have popped her in the mouth" like 3 or 4 times, and thought you said pooped. I just blankly stared at my computer, thinking you had probably gone mad. Shew, glad I was reading that wrong!! I already told you my stories of biting, so I wont repeat myself. I myself do not think I could bite my child, I would stick with hard hand slapping and even putting her in her bed. Please don't poop in her mouth tho....
:( Brandon, God love him, would chase Gin and Andrew around the house with his mouth open. Sure it was pretty hysterical at first until...Andrew was trapped on the potty and didn't close the door all of the way. Screams of,"he's gonna get me Mommy, hurry!!"
I broke him of that, and it took several times b/c his is thick headed. I bit him back. I held his arm out and opened my mouth wide so he could see all of my teeth and sternly said NO Bite. He was more upset about unable to pull his arm back, I did not leave marks of course. After, when he would open his mouth to divour someone, I reminded him by sternly saying NO Bite, and march towards him with my mouth wide open.
I hope this helps. : )
It is a pretty funny memory, b/c next week Brandon turns 14. :) Enjoy everything, even the craziness. Luv you all
Brigette
OMGosh, I thought I read the same thing as Gretchen and had to reread it, too. Maybe because you mentioned about the boy scaring the poopie out of ya that my mind went there?! Who knows?! ;)
Kade went through a biting phase. We would smack his hand and tell him no pretty firmly. He has grown out of it. I couldn't bite my kid, but I have a good friend that it worked with her kid who was a bit older and she swears by it. Just don't think I could do it.
OK-#1-the 'other mommies...friends of mommies...any one who knows anyone that has kids...' cracked me up. I was afraid for a minute you were leaving me out! :(
#2-Yes, I too thought you said pooped in her mouth. I was like WHAAAAA?! Is this some weird slang I don't know about?!
#3-I read all the way through. I am a friend of mommies. I know people who have kids. I WAS a kid (a couple of years ago)...but I got nothin' for ya. I think you're on the right track by pooping, er I mean popping her in the mouth. Biting is not a good thing & nowadays with all the weirdos out there you don't want her biting the wrong person! Make ya feel better?! HA!
I don't know what 1 year olds treasure, but maybe you could do the popping & take away her treasure? Oh, is that too harsh? I'm all about the tough love...
what's with these 2nd kids??? McKinley had 3 incidences of biting... the first was in church nursery - which is NEVER good when your husband is the Children's Minister. She broke pretty easy when I bit her fingers off... I MEAN, when I gave her a stern warning.
Thankfully - I think we are past it, but I felt like a horrible mom. It is a form of expression and I really tried to just immediately react with correction. usually a smack on the hand and stern voice. Then she would have to hug and make it right... no kiss though, too close to biting :-)
I've not had this problem....yet! There is still time. Soooo, get this figured out in case I do have this same problem! Thanks!
Btw, I thought poop too! ha! :)
Post a Comment