Sunday, May 25, 2014

You guys, I made a cake. Okay, so I helped make a cake.

May is an incredibly busy month for us, but it is SO MUCH fun!  Eric's birthday was the first of four.  Since it was on a Wednesday and he played drums at church that night, we just did a small gift time with the kids before he left for work.  


I got the bright idea that I wanted to make a cake for Levi and Maggie's party this year.  We decided to celebrate their birthdays the weekend of Mother's Day...you know, because it isn't hectic enough already!  Back in the day, my mom used to be quite the bomb diggity cake maker!  She had this cake making kit with all the bells and whistles and used to make all of our cakes growing up.  When I told her I wanted to give it a try, her old instincts kicked in and she put me to work.  


Okay, see that shell border?  Her exact words were, "we can do a simple sheet cake with a simple shell border..."  Ain't nothin' about a shell border simple.  Just sayin'.


I tried all of two little shell bumps and then told her I would just get a diet coke and keep her company while she finished the simple shell border.  


Once she finished the border, I added the purple and green dots.  Yes, I did dots and am taking credit for it!  They were harder than they looked.  Kind of.  Ha!  And, I wrote the kids names on the top.  My swirls needed some help, but HEY, it was made with LOVE!  ;-)  And it tasted like heaven!!



We decided on a Scooby Doo party because my kids are both infatuated with Scooby right now.  They love all the old episodes and can't get enough!  Eric rented this bouncer for them.  Genius, right?  We thought so!  Was supposed to keep all the kids busy outside so that I had less mess inside.  


About an hour before the party started, this happened:


The weather forecast called for 20% scattered showers.  Um, it was more like a MONSOON!!  I'm talking, hail, 300 mph wind, crazy lightning and thunder...the whole shebang!  Luckily, it only lasted a couple hours and the kids were still able to jump their little hearts out.

How hilarious is my husband?!  His OCD kicked in and he labeled the coolers.  Woe to the person who messed them up!  


Elmer (we were on a first name basis with the man who rented us the bouncer. He acted like he was our long lost cousin!) threw in a snow cone machine for free when we rented the bouncer!  It was a major hit!  We had almost all of the cousins there for the party.  LOVE IT!!


My babies are now 8 and 4 years old!  Where has the time gone?  They had such a great day celebrating with our family.  I could not have asked for a better day!  


On Sunday, there was no time for cake hangover -- we had to jump right in and celebrate Mother's Day.  More food and cake...twist my arm!!  After lots of hugs, kisses and cute little gifts, we headed to church and then to my aunt's house for lunch.  I love it because the dads take care of the kids and their needs while the moms sit back, eat and relax!  


I am so blessed to be their mommy.  Some days, I have no idea what I am doing and wonder why God gave me such a big responsibility.  I have to sit back, breathe, and remember that God gives me grace and unconditional love and those are two things I need to pass on to my children.  I adore them so much.


I know that Mother's Day is not always a happy day of celebrating for some people and it isn't full of wonderful memories.  My heart breaks when I think about that.  My prayer is that God will provide His grace, love, peace and comfort to women who are hurting.  For me, my family is my rock, and I remember every day how blessed I am.  Love these women. :-)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a sweet weekend and a sweet cake

ginmommy said...

I miss you! I'm sure you will miss me tonight when you don't hear my beautiful snoring.

Jami said...

Good job on the cake!!!

Jaime Mac said...

The cake looked awesome! Also love the pic of you, your momma, sister & sister in law & girls!
& on an unrelated note - you make those babies SHARE a birthday party? That's just WRONG...

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS