"She's leaving on a jet plane..."
"She's leaving, on a midnight train to Bowling Green..."
"My BFF is leaving me and doesn't care" (with a dramatic sigh)
"Life sucks"
I guess those are somewhat overkill. :) A few weeks ago, Gretchen told me she needed to tell me something. It was one of those looks... like a guest has on Jerry Springer... "I'm pregnant with your brother's uncle and I won the lottery but spent it all on booze." So, I immediately thought she was going to tell me she was pregnant. Nope. She fidgeted around a lot. I kind of got the feeling it was going to be bad. I started imagining all kinds of things..."WHAT THEN??" She told me there was this opportunity and that they may have to move. GULP. I kind of got lightheaded and started to see those little spots...you know what I'm talking about. Kind of like you might faint, which wasn't a good thing because I was driving!!! I don't think I moved for a full minute and she finally said "say something!!!" And so began the whirlwind...
Paul got an awesome promotion and let me officially straight up say "I AM SO HAPPY FOR HIM"!!!!!!! He has worked so hard and they have struggled so much over the last few years and I'm am absolutely thankful for God's blessing on them. (I can say this now. At first, I wanted to hit him! ~kidding~) Now, don't get me wrong...I'm still not really able to talk about all this in person without crying, but it's getting easier. Bowling Green isn't that far...it's not like they are going to California or Iraq. I'd be really mad if they were going to Iraq! ;)
So, with all this said, there is a reason for this post! I got to go out - without kids! - on a date with Gretchen for a few hours. Eric has been working like a mad man at work and hasn't been home a lot which leaves me pulling my hair out by the end of a long week! He stayed home and sent me out to have some fun. Thanks, Babe!! We went to several different stores and did a little light shopping and had dinner at Cheddar's. YUM. It was so nice to just sit and talk and not worry with little voices or whines... Even lived it up and ordered a diet cherry coke! We had dessert at the Pie Kitchen and oh my word, it was good!!!
Of course, the evening wouldn't be complete without a self portrait!




4 comments:
AHHHH, what a sweet post! Funny & poignant all at the same time! ;)
My bff moved away years ago...I know the emptiness & loneliness you will BOTH feel. And I am sorry for you gals. Alas, we must remember God has a plan for everyone...Sigh...that's the part I struggle with.
And no, she's not moving to Beirut or anything...thank goodness...Look at the bright side- maybe she'll live near some super awesome shopping locations! :)
I love that you love eachother so much! You can handle anything that God throws your way. There is a wonderful reason that they are moving there and you are right, it's not Iraq!
Honestly, I didn't know who to worry about more.... you or Gretchen! We will have to make a day trip... kids and all.
Um, so let me say, I LOVE THIS!! Not because it's about me, but because you did such a good job saying it all!! You really had me laughing!!! We will make it through, all of us. I know somedays will super suck, but God will also give you what you need!!! Not just me ;)
Post a Comment