Friday, February 27, 2009

A wild two days

It’s in and WORKING!!! That was the call I received at 11:15 today and it was the best news I’ve heard in just about forever! One of my oldest and dearest friends, Jill had a liver transplant today. Her 2nd transplant. The liver is officially in and working! I didn’t have the words to speak when her husband called me. All I wanted to do was cry and praise God!

Jill was born with a liver disease…let me see if I can still spell it. Biliaratresia?? I’ll have to ask Jill when she wakes up! :) She had her first liver transplant when we were fresh out of high school…14 years ago! WOW!! Several months ago, she was told she was in liver failure again. Shocking news, to say the least. I can’t imagine everything she’s thought, felt and experienced since that news. She’s married now, has two adorable children, ages 5 and 2.

We live (crazy enough) right across the street from Jill now, so I was the “on call” person for night time. If she got “THE CALL” in the middle of the night, I was to go over and stay with the kids. Yesterday, I was at work…it was 2 o’clock and my cell rings. Caller ID informed me it was Jill calling. My heart sank. I teared up before I picked up the phone.
“Hello”
“I got the call” …she was crying
“Holy crap…okay, everything is going to be okay…”
And so began the whirlwind. I arrived at the hospital a little after 4. They were still cleaning her room, so I met her and her family in admitting. We hugged, had a breakdown and cried and then just sat and waited. I got to spend some good time will Jill laughing, taking silly pictures, crying (yes, I have the “cry headache” today) and strolling down memory lane. I left her to go to choir where they prayed over me as I “represented” Jill. More crying. I talked to Jill before bed and she was upbeat.

She went into surgery at 6:30 this morning. Bob called at 11:15 today with the sweetest words I’ve heard all day! The liver is in and working. Praise God.

Oh my gosh…I could go on and on, stories, feelings, emotions…but, I will stop here. I just want to say “Praise God!” As little stories, memories pop in my head, maybe I will blog about some of them!! Jill, I love you and I can’t wait for you to be all better again.

1 comment:

ginmommy said...

Well, I'm tearing up, AGAIN!!! I'm glad I've had the chance to get to know Jill. She's a funny girl, and i just know that everything is gonna be ok. I hope you know what comfort it must bring her to have you in her life, God is using you!!

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS